Brett Favre joined elite company in the Green Bay Packers 33-22 victory over the Chiefs in Week 9 of the 2007 season. He became only the third quarterback in NFL history to beat all 31 other teams in the league, joining Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. The win also improved the Packers to a surprising 7-1 on the season.

Favre completed 24-of-34 passes for 360 yards and two touchdowns in the win. Donald Driver caught five passes for 99 yards to lead Packers receivers while Charles Woodson returned an interception 46 yards for the game-clinching touchdown. Rookie kicker Mason Crosby kicked four field goals in the win.

The Packers Trail After a Low-Scoring First Half

After a scoreless first quarter, the Packers took a 6-0 lead on a pair of Crosby field goals. Then Favre threw an interception on a pass intended for wide receiver Koren Robinson. Benny Sapp returned it to the Packers 30 with 25 seconds left in the half. A pass interference penalty against Atari Bigby put the ball on the Green Bay one. Chiefs running back Larry Johnson scored on a one-yard run with 18 seconds left in the half. The Packers trailed 7-6 at halftime.

Brett Favre Leads the Packers to the Lead

Late in the third quarter, linebacker A.J. Hawk intercepted Damon Huard and the Packers took over at the Chiefs 30.

“We had an idea they were going to run that play,” Hawk said. “I think everyone wants to make plays in games, and I’ve been saying for most of the year that when the opportunity presents itself, I want to be there and to be ready to make the play.”

The Packers next drive culminated with a 13-yard touchdown pass from Favre to Greg Jennings to put the Packers ahead 13-7 after three quarters.

The Packers and Brett Favre Regain the Lead

The fourth quarter was a back-and-forth affair with both teams putting points on the board in rapid succession. Kansas City regained the lead on a 30-yard pass from Huard to Johnson to take a 14-13 lead.

On the ensuing drive, Favre found Driver deep down the right side for 44 yards. That set up a 32-yard Crosby field goal that gave the Packers back the lead, 16-14.

Packers penalties fueled the next Kansas City drive including a 25-yard pass interference penalty on Woodson. Tony Gonzalez caught a 17-yard touchdown pass to give the Chiefs a 20-16 lead. Kansas City decided to go for two and failed twice. The first time the Packers were called for pass interference. The second try they had 12 men on the field. However, Priest Holmes ran for the two points on the third try and the Packers trailed 22-16. There was 5:23 left in the game.

Brett Favre Leads the Packers to a Wild Finish

The Packers responded quickly when they got the ball back. Favre completed four straight passes. The fourth was a 60-yard bomb deep down the middle to Jennings for a touchdown. The Packers led 23-22.

“That particular play we had run numerous times, not only in this game but in other games,” Favre said after the game. “But with a tight end in that position, it’s basically a clear-out to get Donald (open) on a 12-yard cross (or) James on the outside coming underneath. I’d like to give you some great formula, but as I left the huddle and got lined up, I was in the shotgun, and I looked out there and it kind of dawned on me that Greg was (going to be) running right down the middle of the field with a mike linebacker. I think that’s a mismatch. I was just nervous when I threw it that I was either going to overthrow it or underthrow it, because I threw it way before he looked, and I never reminded him leaving the huddle.”

“I just wanted to be a part,” Jennings added as he hoped to become a bigger part of the offense. “Not having any touches, it can get frustrating. I wasn’t trying to make it a big, huge deal, because that’s now how I am. But at the same time, Mike [McCarthy] told me, ‘Hey, we’re going to get you the ball.’ And now, I’m getting a couple touches a game and making some plays.”

The Packers defense forced a punt on the ensuing drive. Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila sacked Huard to help disrupt the drive. Woodson returned the punt 27 yards to the Chiefs 31 with 1:59 left. The Chiefs called their timeouts and Crosby kicked his fourth field goal of the game, this one from 45 yards out. Green Bay led 26-22 with 1:44 remaining.

The Defense Clinches the Win

The Chiefs had one chance left to regain the lead. On the third play of the drive, Huard looked for Holmes on 3rd-and-2. Woodson stepped in front and returned the interception 46 yards for a touchdown. The Packers scored 17 points in the final 3:05 of the game and won 33-22. This was the first time the Chiefs defense had allowed more than 20 points all season.

The Aftermath of the Game

The win increased the Packers record to 7-1 while Kansas City dropped to 4-4. “We’re halfway through [the season],” Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said. “Good start. We’re in first place.”

“The record speaks for itself,” Favre added. “We’re finding ways to win games, but we’re also finding ways to make them closer than maybe they should be.”

“That was a heck of a football game,” McCarthy told reporters. “I’m sure it was a great game to watch. Just the change in momentum in a great environment for the home team makes it an excellent win.”

The Packers finished the season 13-3 and reached the NFC Championship Game. It was Favre’s final season with the Packers.



Follow Gil Martin on Twitter @GilPackers

Click here for more great Packers coverage